Cory Riverside Energy announces extension of City of London waste management contract
London, 10 April 2018: Cory Riverside Energy (Cory) and the City of London Corporation (City of London) have confirmed the extension of Cory’s existing contract for waste management services.
The contract, which initially lasted until 2025, will now run for a further two years until 2027. Currently, Cory processes residual waste from the City of London at the waste transfer station at Walbrook Wharf. From there, the waste is transported by barge down the Thames to Cory’s Riverside Energy Recovery Facility (ERF) in Belvedere, Bexley.
Cory has long-term, exclusive waste management services contracts with seven London boroughs. The company’s unique use of the Thames allows it to remove 100,000 lorry journeys from London’s roads each year with an annual saving of approximately 13,500 tonnes of CO2.
The decision to extend the contract was driven by the City of London’s desire to consolidate its existing waste disposal operations and streamline the processes which are currently in place.
Julian Walker, Chief Operating Officer of Cory Riverside Energy, said: “We have always enjoyed a strong relationship with the City of London and we are very pleased to have secured this new contract. Cory has been responsible for managing the City of London’s waste since 1996 and extending long-term contracts with trusted partners is central to our strategy.
“We are extremely proud of the services that we provide in London and the contribution we make to the city’s circular economy, and this contract extension is welcome recognition of the hard work put in by all of our people.”
Jim Graham, Assistant Director of Cleansing, City of London Corporation, said: “Cory Riverside Energy is an important partner for the City of London Corporation and we are delighted to have reached this agreement. The corporation’s focus is on ensuring that the waste collected in the City of London is treated safely, efficiently and sustainably, and Cory plays a key part in this process.”
For further information, please contact:
Andy Rivett-Carnac +44 (0)20 3805 4822
Henry Wallers firstname.lastname@example.org
Notes to editors
Cory Riverside Energy:
- Cory Riverside Energy is one of the UK’s leading resource management, recycling, and energy recovery companies.
- Riverside is the largest operating Energy from Waste facility in the United Kingdom, with a unique river-based infrastructure on the Thames for delivering waste.
- The firm currently works directly with seven London Boroughs including Hammersmith and Fulham, Kensington and Chelsea, Lambeth, Wandsworth, and Bexley. Tower Hamlets and the City of London
- 2016 was a record year for Cory Riverside Energy, which has had an exceptionally strong operational track record, operating at its full permitted capacity since day one.
- Other highlights include:
- 528 GWh of baseload electricity generated;
- 753,000 tonnes of waste diverted from landfill;
- 100,000 truck journeys removed from London’s road every year thanks to our Thames river infrastructure;
- Equivalent of 160,000 homes powered;
- 230,000 tonnes of carbon saved by not sending waste to landfill;
- 200,000 tonnes of ash recycled as road aggregate;
- 10,000 tonnes of Air Pollution Control Residue recycled to create building blocks used in construction.
We are extremely proud of the services that we provide in London and the contribution we make to the city’s circular economy, and this contract extension is welcome recognition of the hard work put in by all of our people.