Latest in our video series reveals how we use the River Thames
Today we have published the second in our series of videos taking you behind the scenes of our business.
The River Thames has been central to Cory Riverside Energy since our foundation. Today, our fleet of five tugs, over 50 barges and in excess of 1,500 containers transports more than 1m tonnes of London’s residual waste and aggregate per year.
By using the ‘Green Highway’ of the Thames, we remove 100,000 truck journeys from London’s roads each year, reducing congestion and improving pedestrian and cyclist safety. It also saves around 13,500 tonnes of CO2 compared with road-based waste transport.
The Thames is the heart of London. Watch this video to find out how it’s the heart of our business as well.
For further information, please contact:
Andy Rivett-Carnac, Henry Wallers, Caroline Dobbin
+44 (0)20 3805 4822
Notes to editors:
- Cory Riverside Energy is one of the UK’s leading resource management, recycling, and energy recovery companies.
- Riverside is the largest operating Energy from Waste facility in the United Kingdom, with a unique river-based infrastructure on the Thames for delivering waste.
- Cory Riverside Energy is currently majority owned by funds advised or managed by Strategic Value Partners LLC or its affiliates.
- The existing shareholders have been in place since 2015, and since then have overseen a major restructuring programme, with three of Cory Group’s four business lines sold:
- June 2016: Sale of Cory Group’s municipal collection business, Cory Environmental Municipal Services Ltd, to Biffa Waste Services Ltd.
- July 2016: Sale of Cory Group’s national waste brokerage (“Brokerage”) businesses to Reconomy. Brokerage comprised UK Nationwide Skip Hire Limited, trading as Skippy Nationwide, Skips @ Home Limited, trading as Skip Hire UK, and Cory Environmental Recycling Services Limited.
- January 2017: Sale of Cory Group’s landfill sites and associated landfill gas operations, across 14 locations in the UK, to Armour Group Holdings Ltd.
- 2016 was a record year for Cory Riverside Energy, which has had an exceptionally strong operational track record, operating at its full permitted capacity since day one.
- Other highlights include:
- 528 GWh of baseload electricity generated;
- 753,000 tonnes of waste diverted from landfill;
- 100,000 truck journeys removed from London’s road every year thanks to our Thames river infrastructure;
- Equivalent of 160,000 homes powered;
- 230,000 tonnes of carbon saved by not sending waste to landfill;
- 200,000 tonnes of ash recycled as road aggregate;
- 10,000 tonnes of Air Pollution Control Residue recycled to create building blocks used in construction.
The River Thames has been central to Cory Riverside Energy since our foundation.